SEARCH BLOG: MIDDLE EAST
Yahoo! News ran an article titled 6 Signs the U.S. May Be Headed for War in Iran
You can read the article by clicking on the link above.
Within my own family there is a difference of opinion about war with Iran. Here are what I see as the pros and cons.
- Iran is the source of supplies, training and possibly men who are attacking U.S. soldiers in Iraq
- Iran's president is a dangerous fool who may soon have access to nuclear weapons
- Iran is using it's oil revenues to fund terrorism elsewhere in the Middle East and, potentially, Europe and the U.S.
- Israel may start a conflict and pull us in at a time not of our own choosing
- Iran is a Shiite counterbalance to Saudi Arabia's Sunni extremists with no love lost between those factions
- Iran has millions of young, anti-cleric people who may offer an internal lever to turn Iran away from its present course
- Iran has had ties with Russia and may pull them in to any conflict
- Iran could conceivably cripple all oil shipments from the Middle East and ruin Western economies [see previous post]
- The U.S. is between a rock and a hard place with Iran
- The U.S. could destroy Iran's nuclear capability and create an all-out Middle East insurgency
- Iran likely will distribute its nuclear weapons to terrorists on a limited basis to blackmail the West unless the U.S. makes the cost of such action too high for the Iranian government
- Neutralizing Iran's proxies in the Middle East
- Preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons capability or eliminating that capability if they have it
- Eliminate Iran's surrogates in the Middle East quickly and harshly
- Supply Israel with any needed additional armaments and intelligence they may request to allow them to defend themselves, if needed
- Implement economic blackmail against Iran to create massive unrest among the populace
- After a strong, public warning, take out one non-nuclear military target in Iran for each IED or suicide bomb that goes off in Iraq with a public statement that such U.S. attacks will stop when IEDs and suicide bombers disappear in Iraq... quid pro quo... based on intelligence that Iran is the source of those weapons and trains those who use the weapons
- Offer Iran a way out based on cessation of their nuclear program along with participation in a general Middle East peace process
They also have their list of pros and cons...