SEARCH BLOG: MANDATES
Suppose automobile companies had the opportunity to establish mandates that the Federal government had to follow and fund without recourse. What might these mandates be?
- Government must fund all research required to meet government mandates
- Government must make any technological advances, that allow government mandates to be met, available without licensing fees or restrictions regardless of patents or other legal protections
- Governments must delay the implementation of any mandate if it conflicts with another mandate due to lack of implementable technologies
- Government must guarantee the supply of components, used in the technologies required to meet government mandates, will be available to meet the demand
- Government must guarantee that each vehicle built to meet government mandates can be sold at a profit
- Government must guarantee that once a technology is used to meet government mandates there will be complete legal protection for the automobile companies for the use of that technology
The government now expects the automobile companies to meet government mandates at no cost to the government, no risk to the government, and to pay taxes to the government if any profits are made. The point is that if the mandate process were reversed, automobile companies would have no burden for meeting government mandates, incur no risk for the use of technologies needed to meet government mandates, and would be guaranteed reasonable profits for producing the vehicles that meet government mandates.But that's unreasonable. Nowhere does a free market provide such protection and guarantees.
Who said anything about a free market?..