SEARCH BLOG: POLITICS
The stadium filled with chanting masses. The new leader speaking of a brighter future. The promises. Ah, the promises.
Sen. Obama's platform can be considered his goals. There truly is something for everyone.
Sen. Obama's speech at the convention did clarify his goals.
For example, in the areas of energy, economy, and national security:
- We will be independent of Middle Eastern Oil in 10 years. Ten years is the blink of an eye in terms of establishing a whole new market and infrastructure. But 10 years is a lifetime for a president... actually 8 years is the lifetime. So anything promised beyond 8 years is not a promise that can be kept.
Regardless, we will no longer be connected to the Middle East for oil after Obama's presidency.
- This will be accomplished by not drilling for offshore oil and natural gas [where are those new natural gas reserves Obama will tap?].
- This will be accomplished by not developing our shale oil resources.
- This will be accomplished by increasing taxes on oil companies.
- This will be accomplished by mandating unproven technology with no supporting infrastructure for automobiles.
- We will reduce taxes for individuals and raise taxes on corporations and investors. These same corporations will then be expected to hire more people and increase benefits while competing against foreign companies that do not share those burdens.
- You will have more sick leave and family leave.
- Your social security will be protected while your taxes are lowered.
- Everyone will get the same pay for their work regardless of expertise and years of service.
- You will have health insurance paid for by the government that will get the money from the corporations
- We will withdraw from Iraq and focus on "a terrorist network that operates in 80 countries" "with a clear mission."
- Thanks to the Surge I did not support, I will end the war in Iraq responsibly and then rebuild alliances, such as NATO, so that other countries will eagerly participate in in defeating al Qaeda... even if that means going into Pakistan or other Central Asian nations.
- Troops will be well equipped despite past efforts to cut off military funding.
- We will have tough diplomacy to talk Iran out of its nuclear ambitions.
- We will ensure that genocide doesn't happen and, if it does in places like Darfur, we will end it "with a clear mission."