SEARCH BLOG: HEALTH and GOVERNMENT
The recent flap about the Obama administration wanting to force the Catholic Church to provide free birth control to their employees is a bit of a...
A few thoughts here:
- If the Catholic Church is providing health insurance to its employees, the Church is paying for these "free contraceptives" even if the insurance companies are forced to show in their accounting that it is for free. No insurance is "free."
- The notion that free birth control is "only fair" is something being pull out of someone's a--. Because they supposedly can't afford contraceptives? Hardly.
- Contraception is widely available and dirt cheap. If you can buy that Coca Cola, you can buy several contraceptives.
Unmarried Childbearing(Data are for the U.S.)
- Number of live births to unmarried women: 1,693,658
- Birth rate for unmarried women: 50.5 births per 1,000 unmarried women aged 15-44 years
Source: Births: Final Data for 2009, table C [PDF - 1.3 MB]
- Percent of all births to unmarried women: 41.0%