SEARCH BLOG: CLIMATE CHANGE and NOAA
I have updated 50-state monthly high temperature records for 2007 from NOAA data:
- Data file for 2007 update [Excel 2007 Version]
- Extreme Temperatures by State - Database and Analysis [Excel 2007 Version]
- Each state can have only 1 statewide record per month or 12 new records for any one year
- If any location in the state ties or exceeds a record high set previously, the record is now recorded for the latest year and the record count for the year previously holding the record is reduced by one.
- Since previous records are eliminated, each year for the entire range has exactly 600 opportunities to set a new record... there is no bias or advantage for records set in early years; there is a slight bias for the current year since ties go to the current year.
- Since 2000 there has been a noticeable absence of high temperature extremes or "heat waves"
- The 2001-07 period may have been cooler than the 1994-2000 period