SEARCH BLOG: ECONOMY
Bill and I talked about this the other night... how long before Obama dooms his opportunity for a second term?
Bill was under the impression that the General Motors situation would be his undoing... neither pleasing the left or the right wingers. I'm not so sure. I think there has to be two or three major blunders... and I think they will happen because of Obama's conviction that the U.S. voters and taxpayers strongly support his energy and climate notions... and are willing to pay the price for them.
Polls are unreliable sources of information for politicians to run a country. People will say what they think is the correct response to questions until it comes time to write the check. But when the reality comes that voters and taxpayers are going to pay much more for much less... the responses change... big time.
Obama is on shaky ground with many of his supporters because of the General Motors handling. He is neither all the way in nor all the way out. He is just enough in to claim that he tried and just enough out to be ineffective in accomplishing anything more than wasting money. But there are enough Obama supporters who will say that he did the best anyone could given the situation... whether that is factual or not.
The single action that will be the suicide of the Democratic Party will be the passage of the Cap and Trade... or Cap and Tax... or Cap and Scam... legislation. There is simply no good that can come out of this.
- It will have no effect on climate, the red herring used to justify the legislation.
- It will slap every consumer in the face with enormous energy costs that are wholly unnecessary, destructive, and avoidable.
- It will place U.S. manufacturers at an enormous disadvantage to Third World competitors.
- It will destroy more jobs than the supposed "green" jobs it creates and suppress the economy for decades.
- It will replace reliable energy sources with unreliable energy sources that have no access to the energy grid without even more costs.
- It will not achieve energy independence.
- It will replace the efficiency of the marketplace with the inefficiency of centralize control.
It is obvious that Obama is nothing more than a "mouthpiece" for Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. His schedule of television appearances, as Bill points out, is so extensive that he has no time to lead... to understand and direct appropriate actions. Obama reflects the two central tenets of the Democratic Party marionette masters: