SEARCH BLOG: GLOBAL WARMING
During 1999--2003, a total of 3,442 deaths resulting from exposure to extreme heat were reported (annual mean: 688). For 2,239 (65%) of these deaths, the underlying cause of death was recorded as exposure to excessive heat; for the remaining 1,203 (35%), hyperthermia was recorded as a contributing factor.If I were part of the major media establishment, I would:
During 1999--2002, a total of 4,607 death certificates (annual mean: 1536) in the United States had hypothermia-related diagnoses listed as the underlying cause of death or nature of injury leading to the underlying cause of death. (annual incidence: four per 1,000,000 population).
- ignore the above statistics
- state that "during 1999 - 2003 more than 3,400 people were killed by excessive heat related to global warming"
- say "you have only a 4 in 1,000,000 chance of dying from the cold"
- deaths directly from heat or cold are not a major threat to the U.S. population
- for the few deaths that occur from extreme temperatures, there would probably be a net reduction of overall extreme temperature deaths if the U.S. average temperatures increased somewhat.
I suspect that you will find similar statistics wherever winters are severe.